Thursday, May 29, 2008

T20's popularity will hit Tests hard: Afridi


W
ith the Indian Premier League taking Twenty20 cricket's popularity to dizzying heights, Pakistani all-rounder Shahid Afridi foresees a bleak future for Tests as the five-day format would struggle to find favour among fans seeking instant entertainment.

Afridi, who returned home after a lackluster outing with the Hyderabad Deccan Chargers in the IPL, said the league had been a grand success and the support and interest of the people had left him amazed.

"Even though our team performed badly but still in our final game there was a big crowd out to support us and this shows the interest the IPL has created," he said.

"I can't say if 50-overs cricket would be affected by the popularity of twenty20 but certainly Test matches would be hit hard as people are more interested in seeing instant and exciting cricket," he added.

The flamboyant all-rounder, who came a cropper with the willow in the IPL, admitted that he has been ignoring his batting for bowling.

"I know I disappointed and let down my fans with my batting failures. But now I am going to pay attention to my batting once again and I am confident I can get back into form soon.

"I am l looking forward to playing in the tri-series in Bangladesh against India it will be a good opportunity to make amends," he stated.

No comments: